Control your ROKU from your browser
Not a Mac or Linux user? Roku supplies robust apps for Windows and mobile devices. This works on Windows too but
the web page must be generated on Linux or a Mac.
Before you begin, you need:Mac or Linux terminal
xsltproc(optional but recommended)
Create the web page that controls your Roku
- From a Bash shell, Unzip WaltzRoku.zip to a directory
- OPTIONAL - Modify the IPRANGE and TARGET_DIR variables in the web page generator1. See instructions inside file
- In the terminal (command line), run the command:
chmod 755 rrku ; ./rrku
You should now see the web page named
.xml) you created in your web browser.
You can bookmark that page. You don't need to run
rrku again unless you add, delete or reorder the
channels on your Roku device.
How to use this (tips that may not be obvious)
- Use the number keys (1,2,3, etc) to select your Roku device or select it from the pulldown list in the upper left
- Click on an app icon to start that app (like Netflix, Youtube, etc)
- Click on the remote buttons or use the listed keys on your keyboard.
- Use the
/key to jump to the "Live(ish) keyboard field.
- When you type in the "Live(ish) Keyboard" field, those keys are sent to your Roku. Arrows and tab leave the field.
- You can copy rokupage.xml (or html) and images/rokuremote.png to another server but the page will only work for Roku devices inside your LAN.
In case you are wondering why this can't be just run on my server, it is because web browser security does not allow my website to get the list of channels from your Roku device.
Please send comments and queries to email@example.com.